Thank-you so much for coming this weekend. Here is a run sheet of what to expect and how you can make this weekend have impact.
- North Island Families – Jane Stevens – 021 222 0191, Ruby Powell – 022 102 7414
- South Island Families – Diane Hall – 021 157 9030, Simon Oosterman – 027 526 8704.
- Logistics / Bookings – Vicki Taylor – 0274 630 909
The focus of Sunday and Monday’s events is bereaved families sharing memories of their loved ones and talking about the change you want to see.
You will have three minutes to speak either on Sunday 10 at Parliament or Monday 11 face-to-face with politicians.
The content of your three minutes is up to you. It can be a speech, a song or a poem.
- As there are people who are vulnerable at the event and young children, please do not discuss methods of suicide.
- If you have a song and poem, they will need to be shared on Sunday.
- The focus on Monday is change.
As a reminder, our six key election asks are:
- Hold a mental health inquiry
- Restore $2.3b in health funding
- Set a suicide reduction target
- Increase primary health and GP funding (early intervention)
- Commit to safe staffing
- Make every home healthy
606 shoes at Parliament, 10 September World Suicide Prevention Day
- 10:00 – Bereaved families meet at Parliament grounds
- 11:00 – Setup shoes / Music
- 12:00 – Welcome and blessing
- 12:05 – Bereaved speak
- 12:30 – Open microphone for other bereaved
- 12:55 – Close
- 13:00 – Pack down at Parliament
- 14:00 – Bereaved families to regroup on Parliament Steps
14:00 – Setup at Cenotaph 17:00 – Setup candles 18:00 – Candles lit 20:00 – Pack down
Bereaved and politicians face-to-face, Monday 11 September, first day of advanced voting
- 09:00 – Meet St Andrews on the Terrace, 30 The Terrace, Wellington, 6011
- 09:00 – Setup shoes
- 10:00 – Welcome
- 10:05 – Bereaved families speak
- 10:30 – Politicians speak (3 minutes each)
- 11:00 – Questions and Answers from families and media
- 11:35 – Close
- 11:30 – Tea and coffee
- 12:00 onwards – Some bereaved families will attend party announcements around Mental Health, Wellness and Suicide Prevention.
- 14:00 – Some bereaved families will cast their advanced votes together, location TBC
- 14:00 – Bill English at Horowhenua College
If you have any questions about the event please call Simon Oosterman on 027 526 8704.